Deathstroke Costume Build – Part 2

When the deadline to Comic Con quickly approached, I sped up the process of building my Deathstroke costume. Like the helmet from Part 1, the rest of the outfit was made using the same EVA foam aside from it being much thinner than the standard 1cm width. The majority of the suit was made using templates from a very dedicated modeller who created their own Pepakura files and uploaded most of them on Etsy. Go support their hard work here!

To finish up the helmet, I added the missing side and marked off one side to prepare it for painting. I used a spray initially, but this simply soaked into the foam. I didn’t have enough time to plasti-dip the armour and let it dry for a week which would seal the foam and allow painting, so instead I used a brush applied paint. This bright orange paint thankfully stuck to the armour perfectly. Painting some small lines of silver to represent scrapes where some of the foam creases were helped make the helmet look more realistic and weathered.

 

Next I made the shoulders. On sections of it I cut and flipped the foam to use the texture on its reverse. For the iconic shotgun shells on Deathstroke’s left shoulder, I stretched a rectangle of very thin foam over the shoulder-plate to represent the strap. I then cut 6 pieces of 1.5cm wide PVC pipe into 7cm sections. I wrapped these each in more thin foam, and stuck them to the shoulder. These were then painted red with a gold trim using acrylic paint.

 

The torso is made of two main sections. The upper section is joined to the lower section with elastic in order to let it move when I sit down or twist my waist. The front armour is joined to the back armour with more elastic straps and foam.

 

I made the gauntlets based on the design of someone else’s Deathstroke build. I did end up making these too small, so learn from my mistakes! The gauntlets were made from four pieces of foam, with some thin foam wrapped around to create the raised details.

 

Here’s the shins… not much to them except two pieces of foam glued together. The inner edges are curved so that when they come together they form a concave shape. Just gluing a series of straps to the back and painting the orange top finished these off.

IMG_20160527_192947

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s