This is part 1 of my Deathstroke helmet for cosplaying at MCM London Comic-con. Fisrtly I used a Pepakura design for the helmet (software I highly recommend if you haven’t seen it already). Those familiar with the software will know what comes next but for everyone else, here is the process…
So I began with printing onto paper various pieces that the helmet requires, and then cutting them out to form paper templates. After this, I got my hands on some EVA foam (amazing material!) and began to trace the template designs onto the foam.
Next is the most exhausting part – cutting out each bit of foam with a blade so that all of your carfully cut templates are now in foam form. Unfortunatley, I don’t have a picture of all of the foam parts before assembly, but this is an important step because I made a big decision. There are many concepts for Deathstroke’s helmet, but the main two have either the whole of his helmet completely smooth, or the right side of his helmet that covers his missing eye is raised with bumps that are meant to look like carbon fiber. I chose to turn the foam over on the right side of the helmet before cutting, because the underside of EVA foam has a great pattern that looks just like Deathstroke’s design. After using a hot glue gun to glue all the pieces together, this is the current result:
The only downside with the texture on the right hand side is the inability to create a second eye-hole, and anything you use to cover that hole such as a bit of transparent plastic or even some netting won’t match the texture, and so will be very obvious that you’ve got a second eye hole
Hmm… looks like I’ve got a decision to make. I can either cut a right-eye slit and see with both eyes, or leave the helmet looking nice and smooth and risk falling over. Or I could just take the helmet off while walking. Yeah, that sounds good. That’s it for part 1. Next is creating the back part and strapping.
Thanks for reading!